Monday, March 30, 2009

Sparkling Blue Floral Dress and Purse

FH was asked to be in a good friend's wedding a couple of years ago. Since we would be attending both the wedding and rehearsal dinner together I decided I needed something nice to wear. There was a fabric that had been marked down at work (back in the days when I worked at a fabric store) that whispered to me every time I walked past.

So I did what any reasonable person would do.. I purchased the entire remainder of the bolt.

This is the dress I made for the rehearsal dinner.
Just look at it sparkle in the light.
I used a Simplicity pattern designed by Khaliah Ali. I love the feminine details of this pattern that are not only elegant, but are designed to keep the bustline private. Definitely a good thing when attending wedding activities.
Since I had the fabric and the time I also made a matching purse.
The contrast fabric came from a fat quarter on a rack at the same store. I think I used a discontinued Butterick pattern. I looked for it to doublecheck and couldn't find it. All of my patterns are out of order in their filing cabinet. I never sorted them when I unpacked.
This bag was large enough for me to take along a portable sewing kit (which we needed for the bride at the reception), special double sided tape: one side for fabric, the other for skin, a folding lint roller, extra film, tissues, my cosmetics, both of our billfolds, and both sets of car keys.

I still had fabric left over so I made a skirt to wear to the actual wedding ceremony and a blouse and camisole but they are in storage until I unpack the summer clothes again. So they will have to be posted in another entry sometime in the future.

13 comments:

Sharon said...

Picture a dropped jaw. That is spectacular - gown and bag. Well done Kathleen.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

How wonderful to spy a bolt of divine fabric and then be skillful enough to fashion your very own dress! What a talent!

JDayMinis said...

Such beautiful fabric, it really does have a sheen. I love the bag, so wonderful you made it to coordinate. I really want to get back to sewing again and I just keep saying that. You actually find the time to do it!! You are really an inspiration! Wonderful dress, thanks so much for sharing.

CouponAlbum said...

It's beautiful sparkling blue floral dress and lovely matching purse!!

A. Wright said...

Simply gorgeous. That looks like the kind of fabric that likes to slip and slide around and make one crazy!

MiniKat said...

Thank you, ladies! The patterns themselves were a dream to sew. The fabric... well let's just say I bought extra pins.

rosanna said...

So nice Kat, you have been s good at doing them.
I wish I could sew. The fabric is wonderful

Tallulah Belle said...

That is totally gorgeous...looks like a water color painting. Beautiful.

Hmm...wish my friends had thought to bring a portable sewing kit to my wedding. They stitched the trim on my dress just before we left the house and by the end of the afternoon it had all unraveled...told them they should have sprayed me with hairspray.

Still by then I was in a bar full of skydivers having a beer or two so I didn't care and they aren't the type who'd notice :-)

Michelle said...

Truly beautiful, and I am envious. I drool over fabric every time I go into a fabric store, but do not have the vision, skill or desire to bring it to life like that. I know how to sew, I just don't like to!

BTW, I picked up my award after all. Thank-you again!

Leigh said...

It's lovely! Perfect choice of fabric. And the matching bag is very clever.

MiniKat said...

Thank you. :-)

If I lived closer to any of my friends, blog-friends included, I would happily sew for you.

Somehow I think it would be appreciated more than the last time.

Eva Russo said...

Fabulous work and wonderful fabric! My compliments.
:-)

candyn said...

Oh this dress is gorgeous. I love the style and the fabric is so beautiful. You are so talented!