Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Poe, part 2

I wanted the ceiling to be simple, but I didn't want to make it completely plain. The reoccurring problem of size reared it's ugly head again briefly. Only a small fraction of the ceiling exists, so I thought I would try making a design that suggests the room is bigger than the visible scene.

I dug around and found a couple of small angels and a nice filigree and played with positioning for a while. This is what I came up with.

When the glue dried I coated it with gesso. It needs a few more coats, but I think it's a good start towards a faux plaster ceiling.

There's actually a bit of the baseboard showing in the above picture. I primed them with gesso when I started on the ceiling. Depending on how well things go tomorrow I might get the floor, ceiling, and baseboards in place. We'll see.

I didn't get to any of the other non-research projects. But I did do some snake research and have some ideas of what I will be trying next.


Alice said...

The ceiling is looking great! I love it when there are details in scene, even when viewed at odd angles. Some of my minis are up on high shelves, so the ceiling is what I see!

MiniKat said...

It's that way for me too. I learned to always do something with the ceiling from my friend, Pat Snowden. She keeps many of her scenes on shelves and the ceilings show quite clearly.