Monday, March 16, 2009

Poe, part 6

Last night I printed out the first 8 stanzas of "The Raven" on beige cardstock, cut it to fit the book, and sprayed the ink-side with varnish. This afternoon I glued it in place.

I'm getting to the point where I will be "waiting on parts," which was frequently heard back in the labs at university. Projects, theses, presentations, and term papers were often delayed by waiting for parts to arrive.

At this point all I have left to do with supplies that are in the house is fashion the illusion of a door, make a small book, and sculpt the raven and bust of Pallas.

I am looking for the right shade of dark purple silk for the curtains and a similar color of micro-velvet to upholster the chair with. I would be happy with enough "violet velvet" to make a pillow for the chair and make the chair itself another color. Any ideas on where to look?

When payday rolls around I will be ordering a portrait (Lenore) and wall sconces for candles. And some crown molding if I cannot find enough in the leftovers.

I will also be experimenting with a scrap of the leather to see what I will use on the front cover to have "The Raven by Edgar Allen Poe" in silver. I don't know if silver leaf will work with the pig leather or not. But I'm going to try. Failing that I will make a stencil and paint it on. I will be decorating the spine similarly.

If anyone noticed the little filigrees in the picture and wondered, I'm thinking of putting some sort of flowery things in them and having them on either side of the portrait, but I am not sure how they will look. It might be too busy if I do that. But I don't want to loose them either. So I tossed them into the book for safe-keeping.

2 comments:

nikkinikkinikki72 said...

Looks great again so far.
My favorite poem is not by Poe but by John Betjeman. Its the Diary of a church Mouse. How true it is!
http://famouspoetsandpoems.com/poets/john_betjeman/poems/786
Or to hear him and the poem
http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/poetry/outloud/betjeman.shtml
I've framed it with 2 little mice at the side and read it on my way out the door.
Takes me ages to get out... lol

MiniKat said...

What a lovely poem. I had never read it until just now. I agree with the mouse. It's not fair to have to share with those who take advantage. Sort of like the grasshopper and the ants story I read as a child.