Sunday, March 8, 2009

Happy Fun Snake

This is the prototype for a different direction in my sculpting. I made him to put in a hunting cabin that I've been working on for FH. Sadly the pictures don't do him justice, but they still look pretty good. He is a black rat snake, a non-venomous species, that provides a necessary service for farmers who prefer rodents to stay out of their grain stores.
His eyes are glass no-hole beads. I used a tea strainer to make his scales. Adults of this species can be anywhere from 42" to 72" in length (1.06 m to 1.83m).
Adults of the species are characterized by a patch of white under the jaw and upper part of the neck.
When the species is startled they wrinkle their bodies up to look like a piece of ribbon candy. This particular snake had been startled by a nearby badger (in the mini scene) and is slowly un-kinking himself.

I'm working on other species right now. I've been researching several and trying to figure out how to do the skins just right. I'll be posting more when I decide they look correct.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Your snake looks absolutely brilliant. Thanks for sharing and for the email.
Mini Hugs