Sunday, March 15, 2009

Poe, part 5

While enjoying the simply wonderful weather outside today, I was able to cover the outside of Poe with leather. The leather is a velvet pig suede that I purchased from Tandy Leather. It's extremely thin and not too expensive.

This had to be done in a well ventilated area because the glue that works on leather is a known carcinogen. So outside I went. I most fiddly parts of this undertaking was getting the leather to stay glued to the ends of the "spine." I will be braiding some sinew to look like the bits of binding that oke out from teh ends of a leather-bound book.

The other thing I figured out too late to change things is to not stretch the leather too tightly at the hinge of the book. It will make the cover of the room open when it is standing up. I have an idea on how to fix that. I will let you know what happens.

6 comments:

Daisy said...

Is wonderful!

rosanna said...

you have done a very good job

Debbie said...

I've been watching your "Poe" come together. I love how you've made it look like a book. Looking forward to seeing it finished.
Mini Hugs

Brenda said...

I'm anxious to see it finished, too. I want to do something similar with "Oliver Twist"...someday.

nikkinikkinikki72 said...

Oh so love this. Looks brilliant so far.
Can't wait to see more.
Nikki x

nikkinikkinikki72 said...

Oh so love this. Looks brilliant so far.
Can't wait to see more.
Nikki x