Saturday, March 14, 2009

MRI update 4

I had the follow-up visit with the doctor today. He was happy to report there is nothing more amiss with my spine than mild arthritis. [Huzzah for arthritis before my 30th birthday rolls around. Bleh!] But at least we know I haven't damaged my spine more. That was the main concern.

None of us, the doctor included, is happy that we still don't know what is causing the loss of balance. He has ordered some bloodwork, added to the list of tests my OB-GYN ordered (fasting blood draw for random things and thyroid levels). This way I'm only stuck once. After the blood goes to the lab I get to see my new neurologist. Probably for a CT scan and possibly another bloody EMG.

Not pleased about the EMG. Fo those of you who are blissfully unaware of what an EMG is here's the wiki site that explains the science. In layman's terms, they stick a bunch of bloody humongous needles into your muscles and, for lack of a better term, shock the hell out of you. It's painful, aweful, horrible, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone but a child molester. I've had one of them in my life already and I was hoping to never to have another.

During the last one I had, the doctor took one look at the tears pouring uncontrollably out of my eyes and stopped the test (bless him!). Apparently the bulge of tricep muscle right at the inner part of the elbow joint is the worst possible place to have that test perfomed. And now I probably get to have it done to my legs.... $^(&^%^%((*!!!!!! <- censored incredibly foul words in about four different languages

The good doctor (he really is good) also suggested that my thyroid gland may be dying off at a more rapid rate than we originally thought. Hence the test that my OB-GYN was going to run. It's possible that the lack of thyroid hormone is responsible for the lack of balance while the cold, wet weather and the arthritis are responsible for the pain.

He's also concerned that maybe I am not getting enough of certain nutrients in my diet because of my odd food allergies and has included screenings for specific nutrients in the bloodwork. So we shall see more after I reschedule my April blood draw for next week and then see a neurologist.

So yeah... with all these tests I doubt I will be at the N.A.M.E. national convention even though it's only three hours away this year. And I've never been. *sigh*

9 comments:

Sans! said...

OUCH ! But all will be well, including you :)! Just no exertions like working on minis for too long.

Brenda said...

"Yay!" that there's nothing more amiss with your spine, but I'm so sorry for the painful procedures that lie ahead, Kat.

P.S. I feel the same way about child molestors.

shannonc60 said...

Hmm sounds terrible. I am very sorry that you have to go through all that. All you can hope is that at the end of it all, they may be able to make you well again. I hope they are over and done with quickly. Our thoughts will be with you.

Michelle said...

I haven't kept up with your blog and find there must be huge holes in my knowledge. I'm so sad to learn of your travails; as my mom often reminded me, "Life is not fair."

Karen said...

I'm glad you're getting good medical care, and sorry about the arthritis in your spine. My daughter is young like you (she's 27) and has very significant arthritis in her knees. It's just really unfortunate. Thanks for the education on EMGs, I was blissfully unaware. Best wishes to you.

Miz Minka said...

Ugh... Can't they do a surface EMG instead of inserting the needles? I thought this quote from the Wikipedia article was ridiculous: "Patients can occasionally find the procedure somewhat painful while others experience only a small amount of discomfort when the needle is inserted." Yeah, right. Like the dentist saying, "This might pinch a little," just before sticking an enourmous needle into your gums and you're sitting there digging your fingernails into your palms to distract yourself from the agony in your mouth... :(

Too bad they couldn't knock you out for the procedure! (Or could they?)

A. Wright said...

I often wonder how they call it modern medicine. More often than not these tests and treatments sound like medieval torture.

Will be thinking of you, big hugs.

Leigh said...

Obviously some mixed feelings about this report. It's excellent that your "only" problem is arthritis, but that's still not something to be congratulated on. So sorry about the EMG too!

bspinner said...

I also have arthritis in my back that is causing neurophathy which effects both my back, legs and feet. Thanks for the information on the EMG. Doesn't sound like something I would like to go through. Good luck with the rest of your test.