Thursday, March 26, 2009

Catharsis

I have noted that I am a seamstress but have never posted about any sewing projects. One reason is I haven't been sewing anything so I didn't think to put up any pictures. The other reason, which is the reason I haven't been sewing, is that my last sewing project was a custom job for a friend.

He wanted me to recreate his "party shirt" which had begun to unravel. We shopped for materials. I measured him over and over since the original shirt was a knit and the new fabric he chose was woven. I took apart the original and made a mock up pattern that I then altered using his measurements.

Weeks went by. I made a mock up of muslin because I didn't want to risk the real fabric on the untried pattern. This was good because the underarms were too tight and the back and sides needed to be let out. Finally after many fittings of the mock up I made the real deal.

It was beautiful. It fit. It suited him so well. It was perfect.

Then he met someone. We, his friends, were overjoyed. We all wanted to meet her and welcome her into our group. The woman who made him smile so big, laugh so deeply. She moved to be with him from another state.

He stopped showing up at movie nights. Stopped answering his phone. Made a 20 minute appearance at the wedding reception after driving for over an hour because she didn't want to come and he didn't want to be away for too long.

Finally he informed all of us via email and his blog that he was never going to speak with any of us again. We were to blame for all of his previous ills and all he wanted to do was go away with his new wife (yes, wife), his new step-son, and the new baby she was going to have in January.

I never saw the shirt again. Nor did I ever get a picture.

6 comments:

Miz Minka said...

Ouch. :( How very odd.

Sans! said...

...saddens me as well how seemingly strong bonds can sometime come apart for no apparent reasons

Tallulah Belle said...

Ohhh what a nice wife...not. Why are some women like that....very sad.

Michelle said...

Methinks said friend will live to regret his decisions. Too bad, especially since children are involved....

Betty said...

I am sorry that happened to you. That happens a lot with weird hobbies. I think that friend is better without you though if he is that fickle.

Karen said...

So sad. I wonder when he'll regret the decision to cut everyone off. We should be safe from these kind of events as adults. Sounds like high school. *Shudder*.