Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Poe, part 1

Well I was finally able to get started on Poe today. Last night I spent re-gluing the walls in place. I had tried using a new glue that didn't work well for structural stability. FH was kind enough to run out and purchase a new bottle of wood glue for me, as I couldn't find the one I knew I had somewhere. Here is the room, sans front cover. I thought having the front cover in place would just be too fiddly to work around for the interior work.
I mentioned before that I found the wallpaper via Jennifer's Printables. She has a wonderful selection of papers that are organized by year used. It's very handy.
Here is a closer view of the paper's pattern. The picture isn't the greatest. The batteries in the camera are starting to fade. I actually ended up gluing the paper in upside down. There was an issue with trying to get the motifs lined up correctly and the only way it would work in the dry-fittings was for me to flip it. I think it still looks alright, but it was kind of irritating.

I made the floor by gluing thin strip wood to some card and staining it dark walnut. I wanted to create a floor that did not look pristine. So I smeared some glue on the wood in a few places before the stain went on. I'm quite happy with the result.

If you recall I mentioned that I wanted a carpet in this room to begin with. My goal is to make that happen in the near future. But I really do like the floor like this. I've pictured a man who is so depressed at loosing his love that he does not keep his rooms in good repair.

I haven't varnished this floor yet. I will probably start that tonight.Next up is the ceiling.

9 comments:

Miz Minka said...

Wow, the flooring looks great!

What about an area rug instead of carpeting?

MiniKat said...

The shape is kind of wonky. The original plan was to print out a rug on fabric, but it got caught in the printer...twice.

So now I am looking for something to use. Either a rug that is almost the right size that I don't mind cutting to fit, or a different printer to borrow long enough to print on my fabric as originally planned.

Doreen said...

I love that floor. What about doing a braided rug. It is fairly simple and can be either round or oval.

MiniKat said...

I have to stay within the period and affluence guidelines. The man in 'The Raven' had money, so he would have had fine carpets in his rooms.

Alice said...

I like the floor! It would be a shame to cover it.

How do you keep the ink on the wallpaper from bleeding when you glue it? I find that working with home-printed wallpapers can be frustrating, but sometimes that is the only way to get the right pattern.

MiniKat said...

I spray the ink-side of the paper with varnish. It works wonders. It also gives you some control of matte, satin, or gloss finishes, depending on the look you want to achieve.

The varnish also can allow you to age home-printed wallpaper by protecting the inky from whatever wash you decide to rub onto it. However, DO NOT try to burn edges of a piece of home-printed wallpaper AFTER you have sprayed it with varnish. That is a quick recipe for toxic Roman candle.

No, I have never done that personally... I just have an excellent understanding of basic Chemistry.

Miz Minka said...

I think a miniature oriental rug would work too -- those weren't cheap (well, good ones, anyway), so the affluent man might have had one. You could make one yourself, and then you could still have the beautiful floor peeking through. :) Looky what I found:

Needlepoint book

Examples of mini rugs

Uh-oh, I think I'm starting to "miniaturize" vicariously through you and your lovely craft! :D (I should be studying biology instead of surfing the Web for miniature oriental rugs.)

MiniKat said...

LOL! Another person infected with the idea of miniatures! ;-) Speaking of... your teapot should be there soon.

Actually I have thought about stitching a rug. I still might. We shall see.

MiniKat said...

Oh, and thanks t=for the links, Minka! :-)