Monday, May 4, 2009

More Spring: Plants, Decor, and Cleaning

I've been doing chores today and trying to declutter a bit more. I think I'm winning, but I can never tell until FH comes home, glances around, and says, "wow!" That's how I know things have improved. The fact that he bothers to pay attention to the amount of housework I do in a day makes me feel good too.

For anyone who wondered about the strange posts sticking out behind the hedge in this picture, those are stakes ringed in clothesline that are protecting this little beauty:
We planted this baby redbud tree last fall before the frost set in. I wasn't entirely sure it would survive the bitter cold here given the late planting, but it has! I'm so excited!

As you can see it's barely taller than my hand, but it will grow quite a bit this season I'm sure. I was outside today with utility shears cutting away all the grass to the leaves could get light. I don't want the maintenance men to run over it with a lawn mower or decapitate the poor thing with a weed whacker. Hence the ugly stakes. I'm hoping to get some decorative fencing this weekend to replace the stakes with.

Part of the decluttering project was actually getting some craft projects either finished to a stopping point. I cut the rest of the mattresses from the foam piece and covered as many as I could with felt yesterday. I was able to store them in a zip-top bag that takes up less room than the supplies did.

I also glued the fake flowers in place on this wreath:
It came to me already bedecked in silk blossoms last summer when our maintenance men were cleaning out an abadoned (and thoroughly trashed) unit in the neighborhood. The woman had no concept of cleaning and hse had a bit of a hoarding tendancy. The boys decided they would let me go through all of her abandoned craft supplies to see what was still usable and I could keep what I wanted.

Two more "blank" wreaths came along with it. I have plans for one to become an autumn wreath and have bits and bobs for that. The other... I don't know. Perhaps something with summer time accents. I already have a winter wreath thanks to my MIL. Or perhaps my friend, Holly, will want one for her new house. :-)

Tomorrow I will be there all day helping her tape trim and showing her how to paint walls. They have until the middle of June to leave their rental house, so we're getting the painting done and some other needed work out of the way before the furniture is in the way.

Now to track down FH since it's half passed seven and he's not home yet. If I know him he's gotten into the groove of coding.

10 comments:

Tallulah Belle said...

The groove of coding lol...is he a code monkey :-)

The wreath is very pretty. As will your tree be.

With all this clearing out I keep looking at how many unfinished things I have...shocking. Most of the time I have only got as far as collecting some of the supplies for each project let alone made a start.

As my friend Cary says, miniaturists are missionaries with short attention spans...I don't think I've ever heard a more fitting description :-)

Tallulah Belle said...

Missionaries lol...yup we are unsuccessfully trying to convert the world.

I meant Visionaries of course...oops !

Anonymous said...

What a great feeling it is to plant a little tree - good for you!

MiniKat said...

Jayne: Yes, FH is a code monkey. :-)

Christine: We helped plant several but the heathen children in this neighborhood killed about half of them. Their parents are figments of imagination. On one hand I feel sorry for them, but on the other I'd love to knock their heads together.

rosanna said...

Planting a tree is a great thing, gives you an idea of eternity. I love trees. When I was a child I tried many appletrees starting from the seeds but I admite I have a black thumb.keep ging.
BTW I didn't call you yet on your parcel because it has not still arrived. Mail service is awfull.

Kim said...

Lovely wreath! I can't wait to see how much your tree grows this season- I can totally relate to the feeling of wanting to protect it and clear out so it can "breathe and collect sun" :) My plants almost feel like my children to me sometimes.

Debbie said...

Love the wreath you've made Kat, I thought it was real flowers to start of with..
Hope your little tree is soon up, up and away.. x

Tallulah Belle said...

Thought so :-) Mick and him would get on very well then....and we could play...C'mon over :-)

Karen said...

Great job on the wreath, so pretty!

MiniKat said...

Rosana: We plant things all the time. Both sets of parents taught us to garden.

I was wondering, but I figured the infamous Italian postal service had struck again. Hopefully it will arrive soon... and in one piece. ;-)

Kim: Thanks! You should see my mother's garden. If I can I will take pictures sometime.

Debbie: Thank you! I hope this little tree makes it. I guard it from the heathens in the neighborhood.

Jayne: I will bring up the idea to FH. Perhaps we can plan a trip that way.

Karen: Thanks! :-)