Sunday, May 31, 2009

Back From A Pioneer Day

I'm going to make this post fast. There is a family issue happening and as much as I would love to sit here and play all day, I don't think I have the leisure.

First for the fiber enthusiasts: Pictures of my friend, Donna's, work. (Donna is Baby Anna's grandmother.)

Donna at her wheel.

Shetland waiting to be spun up.
Homespun: The grey skein is from the grey roving above.

This skein is plied from the green above with silk.Her favorite shawl.

Close up of the color change.Goregeous lacework that I want to say was her daughter-in-law's wedding shawl.

The artist modeling another shawl. Love these colors.Spindle, plied, and original roving.
Anna watching her mother make butter.
Anna with me.
FH carving a Celtic design onto a piece of leather that will become the sheath for my camp kitchen knife. If you biggify the picture, the knife in question if sitting on teh bench next to him. For the record, I made the knife, not him. The bag I made him is on the ground next tothe bench. He's using it for his larger leather tools.
That's all for now. I have to scramble to do some laundry and possibly pack. Not sure yet.

10 comments:

Crafts From The Stash said...

Kat it looks like you had a wonderful day. You and FH are people with many talents. I hope things will be ok.
((((((((( hugs ))))))))

Debie xxx

Katie said...

I hope all is well! Was wondering where you where!!

Love the all the fiber pictures...The loom I have will be perfect for you! :)

Take care!
Katie

Ara said...

The shawl and the threads are beautiful!! Looks like a fun time!!! -ara

Mary said...

I'm sure all the fiber artists out there are having a ball over these delightful photos!

Miz Minka said...

Going to Pioneer Days looks very relaxing... I relaxed just looking at the pictures. I agree with Debie, you're so talented! Thanks for sharing about your day.

Sans! said...

Hey, I hope things turn are alright but they inevitably do, so take heart and not to worry too much.

These pictures that you take pains to post are fantastic. Now I have a complete picture of these camps. It is amazing how people take the trouble to re-create history. What a rich way to live!

Thank you, Kat.

Jemjoop said...

Looks like a fun and interesting day! I'm a sucker for living history as well.
Glad you're getting some nice weather in Peoria too!

Poppypatchwork said...

That looks great, what fun spinning and weaving your own yarn. I'm glad you posted I missed you and was hoping you were OK

Kim said...

Kat- I love when you post about Pioneer Day. I am in awe of the fiber work- I have a very hard time knitting. It is all so beautiful. I would love to learn how to churn butter! What a wonderful skill to have. I hope all is well with you- I am keeping you in my thoughts today. A big hug to you.

Sharon said...

I love events like that. Most of them aren't expensive and they leave you feeling so much richer. Great day - thanks for sharing!