Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Monday's Progress

First I want to thank everyone who helped me choose a floor for the nursery. I think I just needed to know I was leaning in the right direction. The wooden floor has been given about three coats of spray varnish.
It's shiny now. :-)

Sunday night Patch was disgusted that I hadn't done anything, so pulled out one of my favorite books with pictures and made him suffer through a photo shoot.
Doesn't he look disgusted? ;-) It shut him up though. I use the same trick on the cats when they will not leave us alone.

The remaining floor I needed for the Greenleaf got prepped and cut to fit yesterday. I will be installing it today. I also got the rest of the baseboard cut for the nursery. I'll get a picture of it later.

I also started painting that chair yesterday. I wanted it to look like the stain and varnish were rubbing off with age.

I started with a coat of gesso over the whole piece. When that was dry I used the stain packet from the Chrysenbon kit over the gesso, but only on the chair frame. The result was exactly what I wanted. Then I painted the seat red.

At this point I was starving, but Patch didn't want me to stop working. So I bribed him. ;-)

After everything dried really well I gave the whole thing a coat of watered down black paint.
It really makes the faded bits stand out and accents the seat's details. Patch approves. I also made him a box of biscuits. Hopefully that will give me ammunition later when he complains.
I still have some laundry to do, but my kitchen no longer looks like a four year old tried to make pancakes in it. I'll see what I can get done today in between occurrences of housework.

6 comments:

Katie said...

The chair turned out really good! I like the aged look!! Patch looks very happy in the last pic with his box of bones! :)

Kim said...

Yum Patch was served a good looking piece of cake! I think I need to come bother you while you are trying to work so I get cake bribe too!
I love how the chair turned out- more tips for me to store away in my mini file too!
Thanks Kat!!

Crafts From The Stash said...

Kat this is all 'Good Gravy' I love it. Excuse my ignorance but what is Greenleaf please?

Debie xxx

Alice said...

My, you have been busy! The chair looks great! It is fun to turn a plastic kit into a thing of beauty.

IF Patch is as pleased with his cake than I am with mine, than Patch is very pleased indeed. :-)

MiniKat said...

Thanks ladies. You all know you'd be welcome here anytime if you are in the neighborhood. ;-)

Debie, the "Greenleaf" is what I've been calling the house I'm building for the Greenleaf dollhouse company's Spring Fling contest.

julie campbell said...

The chair looks lovely ( as does the cake ....yum) Thanks for the tip with the black paint, I will try that !
julie xxx