Thursday, April 9, 2009

Attempts to be Productive Failed

Well today did not start as planned. My plan was to get an early start and follow a "to do" list that included housework and minis. Then I got a phone call from a friend asking me to please go check on the kids because they aren't answering the phone.

So before breakfast and my first cup of tea I'm throwing on clothes and dashing to the next street over. When I get there the front door is wide open. I went in and upon seeing no fires or blood, demanded to know why on this green Earth was that door open when their parents were not home!

Their excuse was that they had taken the dog out. But when I got there the girl was longing on the couch and the boy was getting a snack. It was obvious they had not "just" taken the dog outside. I railed about the door being left open for a moment and then asked why they had not answered the phone when their parents called. It was in the girl's room and they couldn't hear it over the television.

I marched them into the room, found the phone, and marched them back into the living room. Then I asked them a few questions along the lines of thinking there might be a better place for the phone to sit while they are there alone. We all agreed that it should be in the living room whenever their parents are not there. In retrospect they thought I had a point.

Then I made them lock the door behind me and I trudged home. I do have a key to the house but I wanted to hear them lock the door like I told them to.

I'm going over there again to chat with the parents about tomorrow and perhaps the kids need to come over here since they broke too many rules today. Ugh.

Don't get me wrong. I adore these kids. They are old enough to stay inside the house by themselves, the caveat being I have to be home since we're not only friends but neighbors. I just want to make sure they remain safe.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

You're an awfully good friend and neighbor! Wish you lived near ME!

MiniKat said...

Me too 'cause then I could pet the lambs! ;-)