Thursday, October 20, 2011

Saga of the Linen Shirt

Not really a saga per se but it sure felt like one. 

I started out doing a muslin just to make sure there was enough ease for FH to wear a smaller size.  When I looked at the initial measurements on the pattern envelope I was suspicious.  Turns out I was right.  He could get by with a smaller size.
At this point I veered away from the shirt to do a quick muslin for the waistcoat, which was a good idea.  I needed to make the largest size of the waistcoat to go over the billowing shirt.

I think the shirt looks really good in linen.
FH picked the darker buttons.  I like them too.  Due to time constraints I did veer away from my usual love of hand-sewing hems.  Only the collar and cuffs were finished by hand.  The hem was done by machine.  At least it gets tucked in.


Caseymini said...

Great job Kat! Remind me to tell you about the time that I made a whole princess seamed lady's, long sleeved blouse by hand...I understand your time issues!LOL

Kathi said...

Beautiful shirt! Well done! I am very impressed!