Thursday, October 20, 2011

Saga of the Linen Shirt

Not really a saga per se but it sure felt like one. 

I started out doing a muslin just to make sure there was enough ease for FH to wear a smaller size.  When I looked at the initial measurements on the pattern envelope I was suspicious.  Turns out I was right.  He could get by with a smaller size.
At this point I veered away from the shirt to do a quick muslin for the waistcoat, which was a good idea.  I needed to make the largest size of the waistcoat to go over the billowing shirt.

I think the shirt looks really good in linen.
FH picked the darker buttons.  I like them too.  Due to time constraints I did veer away from my usual love of hand-sewing hems.  Only the collar and cuffs were finished by hand.  The hem was done by machine.  At least it gets tucked in.

2 comments:

Caseymini said...

Great job Kat! Remind me to tell you about the time that I made a whole princess seamed lady's, long sleeved blouse by hand...I understand your time issues!LOL

Kathi said...

Beautiful shirt! Well done! I am very impressed!