Saturday, June 20, 2009

Hey Tessie!!

So FH and I went to a farmer's market today and he bought me some plants for the flower bed. Note that what is now the flower bed had been occupied by some nasty smelling bushes until about a week ago.
Oh the potential in this picture...

Now for the reason I'm harassing Tessie... FH bought me a spiderwort! It's on the left in this picture, next to the larkspur. ;-) There's also a blanket flower in the front. I will be putting a moonbeam coreopsis in the corner of the bed at some point. I'll be planting some bulbs in the fall in random spots as well.
Here's the center of the bed now. Behind the little bear will be shasta daisies once I get them from my mother. She's thinning her bed soon. Mom is also the source of the coreopsis and some candy tuft. The candy tuft will go where the verbena (white flowers) are hanging out now. By the time I get down there to get the flowers the annuals that are acting as placeholders will be gone or going. In case you're curious, begonias are what's all around the bear for the moment.
The larger plant to the left of the picture is a pincushion flower I rescued from the store. It looked so sad as it appeared to be drying out. Usually the blooms are on tall stems, but this one was bedraggled. I'm hoping it perks up now that its roots can expand and it's been given water. I'd like to find another one for the corresponding spot on the other side of the bear.

Now for the emptier end.
Right now I only have lemongrass and a malva planted here. I plan on planting some lavender in the corner and am wishing I had another blanket flower to put in front of the malva.

Once I find the right lavender and get the other plants from Mom, things will look a lot nicer. There's plenty of room for things to grow and expand. And once I find some nice bulbs this fall I can make sure I have nice spring color.

7 comments:

Caseymini said...

Shhhh!!! Kat! Hide the spiderwort. If you let Tessie see it, she will creep in some night and swipe it. I might even help her. It's one of my favorite flowers!

Mary said...

Watch out, Kat, before Tessie gets it into her head to be the long-distance spokeswoman for your garden and blog!

Anonymous said...

You have the beginnings of a very lovely garden. I love to mix annuals in with perennials so you have flowers all year long. It will be nice with the shasta daisy being the central flower.

Debbie said...

It will look wonderful once its all filled out..x

Kim said...

Kat- I love to see things start with a blank slate and then see the beauty that results. What a great beginning and how fun to now watch everything grow and fill in. I love gardens so much :)

Caseymini said...

Hey Kat! You have been tagged by Zar. Come and get it!

Sans! said...

My goodness, you found Larkspur! Are there yellow ones? I had a hard time looking for pics of yellow larkspur when I was doing a dye post! Your flowers look really pretty , Kat.