Friday, September 30, 2011

Keeping Track

A few weeks ago I decided to log as many past and current sewing projects as I could.  I had been mulling over all the sewing projects I've done in my life and only the ones in the last three years have ever been photographed.

I started out with a regular photo album... one with the full page sticky backs and plastic that covers the whole page.  I wanted something with lines to write notes on, so I cannibalized an old journal that I never bothered to use.  Each project gets one full page (front and back) in the album.  The notes and swatches go on the front (in most cases) and the photos on the back.

The cool part is I can write all the important details on the journal page, generally on one side or less, and then move it to the album.  Then I can add fabric swatches, trim/lace pieces, and pictures.  Polar fleece swatches don't work very well, so they don't get added.  I doubt really thick trims would work well either.

As far as information goes, obviously the more recent the project is the more details I can add.  The older ones usually end up with pattern company and number, the type of fabric used, maybe the size made, and where it went.  The newer projects get more details like the fabric mill (if known), the designer's name for the pattern or fabric if applicable, thread brand and composition, what company the notions came from (if applicable), any personal notes or thoughts about the pattern/project as I worked on it, etc.
I'm still playing catch-up with the older sewing projects.  Hopefully I'll get caught up before the year is over.  Then I just have to keep up with the entries as I work.

I don't think I'll do this for crochet or stitching projects.  For those I could pick up photo albums that hold two 4"x6" pictures on a page, put a picture in one slot and an index card with information about the project on the other.  Actually I already did that once before we moved and now that album has gone missing.  So I get to do it all over again.  Happily I hadn't gotten very far into it.

I can probably do something similar to catalog mini projects too.  Not sure how I'd want to do it yet.  It requires more thought.

2 comments:

Kathi said...

What a great idea! I've often thought of making my blog into a book. I like your idea better where you can write comments and show photos of the materials you used. Another PROJECT to add to my list of things to do! :D

Kate said...

This is a great idea! Thanks for sharing.

I wish I had photos/notes of the many projects I've given away over the years too.

Your idea is adaptable to all kinds of projects. Very very creative!