Wednesday, February 9, 2011

I Knew They Were Coming So I Baked A Cake - Fun and A Review

Last night the Counted Thread (cross stitch) group from Stitchers' Guild came to my house for a meeting.  Because it's February and because I love red velvet cake I wanted to do something special for our treat.

FH bought me a really cool cake pan from Wilton.  It's their "Heart Tasty-Fill" design that creates a heart-shaped void to fill with yummy frostings/creams.  I opted for their suggestion of red velvet filled with raspberry (included in the recipe book in the box) and set to work.

Here you can see the result after baking.  The layer on the left is the bottom half.
 
Delicious raspberry cream.

At this point I put the cake in the refrigerator to chill while I made the frosting.
The frosting turned out a little too sweet for FH and I, and there was quite a bit leftover.  I think I will use less sugar next time and see if that works better.  However the ladies all loved it.  I kept the decoration simple.
Sadly by the time I got a piece of my own the structural integrity of the heart center had failed.  But I have ten witnesses to the fact that their pieces all had gorgeous hearts in the middle.
I can't wait to use this again.  Maybe chocolate with creme de menthe next month when the Surface Stitchers (embroiderers) are here.  There are only three ladies that belong to both groups, including myself, so I doubt there would be complaints if I repeat myself a bit.


---   ---  ---
PS: I got the comment issue fixed so I'd love to start hearing from folks again! :-)

3 comments:

Kathi said...

Your cake looks yummy! I learned that adding just a tiny pinch of salt to the frosting helps take the extra sweetness away. Just a teeny tiny pinch is all you need.

Caseymini said...

Kat, I didn't realize that it wasn't working. I have been commenting right along. I imagine that what I wrote is somewhere in outer space...

Cool cake! What a great idea.

Kim said...

oh that cake looks delicious! I have to look for that pan- how fun!!!