Monday, March 22, 2010

Saturday's Work

This past Saturday I spent the whole day at workshops for Stitcher's Guild. The theme of the day was "Try Something New," and everyone had a wonderful time.

During the morning session I taught a class (with FH's help thankfully) on finger-weaving. Our students made a red and black, variegated bookmark. I took a class in the afternoon on basket weaving.

Here's Maddie holding the results.
Here's a better shot of the bookmark. It's approximately 12 inches long.

And then a better look at the basket. Unfortunately we did not learn how to make the frame for the baskets. The frame, complete with God's Eyes at the handles were supplied for us and we just filled in the weaving with waxed linen cord. But a friend of mine knows how to make basket frames so I plan on getting some #1-sized reed and learning from her.

That's all for today. I am very close to reclaiming parts of the house for everyday use and I'm desperate to be finished.

Oh and if you haven't signed up for the giveaway, you've got about two days left! :-)

6 comments:

Sans! said...

That Maddie is one cute gal! I don't think I have ever met her. Love your basket! :)

Debbie said...

Love the basket Kat. Great colours.

Maia's Twinkle Miniatures said...

Beautiful things, it must have been a very fun day and also a nice break from being so busy!
Maia

Jo Raines said...

What wonderful pieces! I love them both. I want to weave mini baskets. I used to do large sized ones but am not sure I can do the small ones!

Jody

Crafts From The Stash said...

Maddie looks right at home with the finger knitting Kat and I love that little basket.
Debie xxx

Nancy at EmbroideryIt.com said...

Your basket turned out lovely!
Nancy