Friday, May 6, 2011

News of the Feline Persuasion

I know I said I was going to not blog about Castor's illness anymore, but honestly we didn't think he'd make it this far.

He wasn't looking too well today so FH and I took him to the vet.  Apparently his liver is now involved which is why he's not doing well this week.  An exact quote from today was, "one liver value was so high my machine couldn't read it."  Not good.  The vet gave him a different antibiotic and we're going back in two weeks to check his liver function again.  If it doesn't help then we're going to have to start figuring out what's best for Castor.

As I type this Castor is snoozing on a lawn chair on the sun porch.  A little later I think I'm going to put his harness on his for a stroll around the back gardens.

We ended up coming home with some medicine for me too, which was totally unexpected.


He was found in a woodpile by a very sweet man who is extremely allergic to cats and has a young human baby that needs his love and attention.

The vet says he's approximately three weeks old, around the same age Confetti was when I brought her home.  Right now we're keeping him separated from the big cats, for their own health.  But Pollux is very curious about him and likes to be able to see him.  I make all kinds of sweet talk to the big boys so they know this is an ok thing. 

Currently he does not have a name but we're pondering a few.  He goes back to the vet in two weeks too so we can check him for FIV and leukemia.  The plan is to foster him until he's old enough for a new home.  We'll see how well that works.

***Edit:  His name is Artan, which is Gaelic for "little bear."  He sounds like a bear cub when he cries.

5 comments:

A. Wright said...

I'm certain Castor will love a nice stroll in the sunshine with you today. *sending virtual kitty scritches*

Artan is so flippin' adorable. He's one lucky kitty and has certainly hit the jackpot of foster homes...I won't exactly be shocked if he's found his new permanent home though Kat :)

Caseymini said...

Kat, I am betting that you foster Artan until he is at least 14 or 15 years old. He is a real cutie.

Katie said...

Poor Castor! He just doesn't get a break, does he! I sure hope it's nothing serious.

lol...foster him, yeah right....lol He's soooo cute! One of our kittens in named Bear, too... and he growls when he eats as well.... too funny!

Kim said...

oh Castor- I'm also sending you lots of kitty hugs and scratches. I'll be keeping him in my heart for good news. What a cutie the new little one is- I am also thinking a fostering might turn into a adoption. You sure are a busy gal Kat! Good luck with this new little one and lots of good vibes coming Castor's way too ♥

Kathi said...

Purring sweet thoughts for Castor...
Your new baby is adorable! I'm sure he will warm his way into your heart and home!