Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Screeching Halt

The sewing has come to a screeching halt as Tempie is very sick. One of her molars is infected and needs to come out since it's also broken. This is the same tooth that the vet tried to remove once before and she nearly bled to death.

Needless to say, we're all (including her veterinarians) slightly apprehensive about the prospects of this procedure. However the situation can be summed up by the following points:

1. We ignore the issues and she dies in a slow and painful manner

2. We go forward with the surgery and she dies under anesthesia with no pain

3. We go forward with the surgery and all of the vets' skills and a lot of good fortune will give her more time to enjoy life.

Obviously we're hoping for option 3.

Since she won't eat on her own right now, much of my day is spent feeding her by hand. The goal is to get more food into the bunny than onto the bunny and myself, but that isn't always the case.

For the curious or those who may need the information, I'm feeding her 3 tablespoons of canned pumpkin (if you have fresh and want to boil it, go for it) mixed with about 1 tablespoon of baby food bananas and some water. I've used fresh bananas before but they aren't always ripe when I need them.

Of course this means we both end up orange.

5 comments:

kathi said...

Thanks for the tips about the mini hold and earthquake stuff. I'll be looking for them next time I go shopping.
I sure hope your sweet little bunny will be okay. Cute story about how you have to feed him. Sounds like a yummy mixture to me!

Kim said...

Kat- I am saying a prayer for your bunny today- I hope that everything goes well. Much love to Tempie.

Caseymini said...

I am also hoping for option # 3. Get well soon Tempie! Hugs to you and Kat both!

Sans! said...

Kat, I use to own 3 cats. Xerxes is the only one still with us. I remembered the day Xerxes stopped eating.The doctor told us he had severe kidney problems and gave him 2 years even if the operation was successful.It is now 10 years later and Xerxes had outlived everyone.

Bunnies are more fragile? But you will never know how resilient our pets can be.

Karen said...

Thinking of you...and sending good thoughts for Tempie.