I made a few changes to the original "10 Strip Wonder Bag" pattern as I went along.
1. The original directions didn't call for quilting the lining fabric to the fusible fleece, but I thought (rightly) it would look better quilted. So I took about 90 minutes to mark, quilt, and erase my markings on the lining halves. Then I got to work on other things whilst the fabric dried.
2. The number of pockets the designer planned for just didn't seem like enough. I added more and even made one with a gusset and a Velcro flap. It's the one with three green buttons on it.
3. The original lacked a zipper. I can see a tote bag not having a zipper, but a purse doesn't seem right without either a zipper or a full-sized flap to hold all one's "stuff" inside. Happily I had a zipper that was the correct color green in my box o' zippers. Now my friend can choose whether or not it gets zipped shut or just utilizes the button flap.
I did have two snooper-visors whilst I worked. I warned them that if they "helped" then they had to pose for pictures. Pollux had the grace to stay sleeping upstairs whilst I worked, the old sweetheart.