Sunday, January 27, 2013

Several Sucesses

This past week has been quite successful in terms of projects.  I'm very pleased thus far.

First up is finishing the stitching on what will be a Christmas gift for our pet sitter next Christmas.  It was supposed to be done for last Christmas, but a nasty cold/weak flu got in my way.  As long as I don't loose track of it between now and October/November, I'm already ahead of the game.

Then I worked up a design for a quilted table runner that features an applique block that I worked on this summer (before I got sick) in a fun class.  The instructor is a local quilt designer and she taught us how to turn the applique pieces using a new product called "Templar."  It works like a charm and everyone in the class has a wonderful time.

Her block design is the floral one in the center of the runner.  She had designed the block to go on a throw pillow, but my throw pillows tend to get tossed in closets and forgotten.  I wanted something I would be sure to enjoy.

I also worked up the blocks featuring the rabbits on either side of the runner.  I'll talk more about them and the designer of the rabbit applique sometime in the next couple weeks.

I also (briefly) considered making a wall quilt instead of a runner.  Here's the design I was contemplating.  I'll probably use the layout later on for a different project.

Then I worked on a bit of a short story I've been working on.  I'm not going to share it as, well, I'm just not going to.  Just like I won't be sharing my poetry, unless it gets used in a piece of stitching.  Speaking of, I also charted out the entirety of a poem I wrote to become a stitched sampler that I'll be starting in the next week or two. 

Finally I finished the applique block for the center of the runner.  I'm giving serious thought to removing the center of the flower, re-centering it on the petals, and sewing it in place again.  I didn't notice how far off center it was until I saw the picture.

 Whilst I was sewing on Friday, we heard an odd noise coming from the laundry room.  Turns out Pixel had gotten herself stuck in the laundry sorter.  She did manage to get out though, after a few false starts.

That's all for now.  See you next week!


Lady Jane said...

I love both of these designs.

Caseymini said...

Kat, the needlework is beautiful. Pixel is growing fast. You may need a larger laundry bag!LOL

Kim said...

wow- you have been busy :) I love the idea of incorporating your block into a runner! The little ornament is so cute too! Speaking of cute- Pixel is too adorable in the laundry basket!!!