A few weeks ago I was out shopping with a friend and we saw some really cool fabric pumpkins for sale. We looked at them and decided we could make our own and wondered if any of our stitching guild members would like to play along.
We figured out how to make the actual pumpkins but neither of us had the time to design leaves. So we bought a copy of McCalls 6178 for the leaves. Then we made mock ups.
This is the mock up I took to show everyone to see if they wanted to play. Everyone loved the idea, so we're getting together next month to play.
I used most of a fat quarter sewn into a tube for the pumpkin's body, the stem is covered with some fine whale corduroy. The ribs are made with some one-ply wool I had in my stash. The leaves are felt and cotton fused with interfacing. I used chain and blanket stitches to accent them instead of the machine stitching the pattern used.
Right now I'm working on some smaller ones in different colors and varying fabrics. My friend made hers out of tan velveteen (batik leaf) and a luscious gray wool (double thick golden felt leaves), but I don't have a picture of hers.
Once I get my army of smaller pumpkins finished, I'll get pictures up. I may not get most of them finished until next month when we all get together. There will be pictures provided I remember the camera.