Sunday, February 7, 2010

Refries with a Twist... Literally

Not my normal modus operandi, but I didn't think about soaking beans two days ago. Usually I use dried beans, soak them overnight, boil them with spices, cool them overnight, and the refry them. But this worked well in a pinch and has some different flavor.

1 can pinto beans
1 can black beans
one half of a sweet onion, minced
2 stalks of green onion, slice thin
1 Tblsp minced garlic
2-3 tsps bacon fat
1 tsp lime zest
black pepper to taste

Melt bacon fat in deep skillet (non stick or cast iron is best) and add the onions and garlic.
Once the onions start to become transparent add the lime zest and some black pepper.
Dump the beans into the skillet and wait for the liquid to start bubbling.
Use a potato masher and start crushing the beans. Stir often to make sure you get all the beans crushed.
Cook uncovered on low until desired thickness is reached. Remember that once the beans start to cool they will thicken up even more.

*Notes:
Normally I use more sweet onion; once when I boil the beans the second day and again when I refry them the third day. I wanted to use up the available onions in the fridge today.

Canned beans are cooked with a good deal of salt and I cooked the onions in bacon fat, therefore I didn't add any additional salt. Some folks dislike refried beans because they are too salty. Homemade refries do not have nearly as much salt as the pre-canned types and have a more nutty flavor.

The lime zest added a nice bit of "zing" to the regular flavors. It's not something I would want all the time, but it was quite nice.

1 comment:

Wendie-kins said...

you are quite the domestic goddess arent you! LOL I don't know how you find time with all the packing and being poorly too (((hugs))) hope that cold dissappears soon, maybe throw some chilli in next time to help ?